It is designed for people who currently work in the PV industry or electrical trades. The course is the companion to the PV Design and Installation Intensive providing advanced material. The 5-day class is primarily lecture and discussion; it challenges participants to address many of the decisions presented to a PV professional in meeting the NEC and other building regulations.
Knowledge and experience in PV is a must, see prerequisites listed below.
Course topics include:
- PV System Design and Racking
- Batteries and Charge Controllers
- Wire Sizing and Wiring Details
- OPCD Sizing
- Point-of-Utility Connection
- Ground Fault Protection (GFP)
- Electrical Diagrams
- PV Site Assessment
- Photovoltaic (PV) Systems Safety
- Maintenance and Troubleshooting
By the end of this course you will be familar with:
Safety: identify critical and common hazards and be able to mitigate.
- Electrical safety,
- Proper clearances,
- Fall and ladder safety,
- Proper use of tools,
- Personal protective equipment.
NEC: reference (and apply) the National Electric Code to find and implement appropriate rules regarding PV systems.
- Proper sizing of conductors and OCPDs,
- Proper ratings on equipment,
- Proper insulation of conductors for application,
- Proper locations of equipment and labelling as required and appropriate
- Proper grounding where required and appropriate,
- Proper ground fault and arc fault protection where required.
Client needs: evaluate clients priorities, opportunities and obstacles.
- Determining clients priorities,
- Proper site evaluation,
- Selecting proper practical system types for specific applications,
- 3.System Design: specify and/or verify proper system design.
- Proper practical sizing of components and locations,
- Proper NEC practices (above),
- Managing the Project: oversee the entire project.
- Pre-construction meetings,
- Applying for permits and utility interconnection,
- Managing delivery of equipment,
- Overseeing labor crew,
- Orienting client to schedule, safety issues and system operation.
- Proper system documentation.
- Verifying Performance and Troubleshooting: verify proper system performance and to be able to troubleshoot common problems.
- To be able to determine if system is operation properly,
- Common problems and their evidence for troubleshooting.
Prerequisites: One or more of the following:
- Completion of SLI PV Installation & Design Course (PV200) or certificate of completion from an IREC-accredited institution.
- Two years of design, installation or related experience with proper documentation.
- Entry-level NABCEP certification with documentation.
- Exceptions to the above may be granted by the SLI after careful review of email request and telephone interview.
Call 707-472-2456 to discuss prerequisites further if you have questions.
Course fees include course presentation and other resource materials. Please bring a recent copy of the National Electric Code (NEC) code book and a trigonometry calculator with you to class.
The next deadline to apply for the next NABCEP PV Installer Certification test is mid- Jan, 2015.
For questions about the application process
contact NABCEP at email@example.com or (800) 654-0021.