We are currently accepting applications for the 2013 Site, Summer Events and Caretaker Internships.
Interns are an integral part of the success of the Solar Living Institute on a daily basis and the key to the organization's on-going mission of promoting sustainability through inspirational environmental education. Under a work-trade agreement, interns assist staff and participate in programs operated by the Institute.
This may include: helping to coordinate and host workshops; assisting with maintenance and construction of facilities; caring for the organic garden; landscaping; support logistics for special events; giving tours to school groups; marketing, helping around the office; and much more! General Schedule of Work-Trade Program
Check out our Facebook page to see what it's like to be an Intern at the Solar Living Institute.
- Site Interns (2/2)
Welcome: Eric and Mykel!
- Workshop Intern (1)
- Communications Intern (1)
- Summer Events Interns (2/2)
Welcome Vinicius and Dhruv!
- Caretaker Interns (2/2)
Welcome Crystal, Chad and Baxter (the dog!)
The 2013 Intern Program Semesters/Fee:
- Spring Semester: April 1 to August 16 (20 weeks) - $900 now only $450 with scholarship
- Summer Semester: June 1 to August 16 (11 weeks) $500 now $250 with scholarship
- Fall Semester: June 1 to October 18 (20 weeks) - $900 now only $450 with scholarship
- Full Program: April 1 to October 18 (39 weeks) - $1,200 now only $600 with scholarship
We are also able to adjust the schedule above somewhat to fit your schedule.
Summer positions are now filled. We welcome applications for Fall.
- Work/Trade a total of 32 hours per week in collaboration with the focus area supervisor
- Provide Kid's Educational tours of Solar Living's site
- As part of the work/trade arrangement, interns participate at no cost in solar PV traing workshops and sustainable living courses, live onsite in simple, rustic accommodation, eat organic produce grown the organic gardens and fresh eggs from our chickens, have opportunities to network at special events/meetings, a Real Goods store discount, and the benefits of being part of the Solar Living Institute family.
- Participate in field trips and events. Here are the 2013 Intern Program Field Trips:
- Interns are expected to be professional during their working hours, adhere to Institute guidelines, and report to supervisors.
Intern Village Lifestyle
Our village has a large communal living space (30-foot diameter yurt) equipped with cooking and dining facilities, lounge area, library, wireless and desktop internet access. The village also has both indoor and outdoor mosaic cob showers, an outdoor wood-fired earth oven, seating area, fire pit and chicken coop. Interns living in the village participate in and assist with cooking, cleaning, and other chores as necessary.
As an intern living in community, you will also:
- Live cooperatively and harmoniously with each other during your time at the Institute.
- Participate in democratic or consensus decision-making and conflict resolution within the intern group. Open, mature and positive communication is expected.
- Provide Kid's Educational tours of the Solar Living Center.
If desired, interns may camp on-site during their internship, providing their own tent and sleeping supplies and may also choose to live off-site. All interns are responsible for their own transportation needs.
The Institute encourages all who have thoroughly reviewed our intern program, including the living situation and the focus area descriptions to apply for a position.
Interested in seeing first hand how the interns live and what they do day-to-day? Check out the Intern Blog!
AREAS of FOCUS
How to Apply
Positions for the 2013 Internship Program are now filled
The 2013 Intern Program runs April 1st through October 31st.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please review the following information and submit the following:
- A personal statement
- A cover letter which includes the focus area for which you are applying (site, workshop, communications, events)
- A current one-page resume including three work or volunteer related (non-personal) contact references
- A 250 - word personal biography
- Preferred format is MS Word docs, pictures in .jpg, bmp, png format
All application materials must be sent to
, or mail your application via postal mail to:
The Solar Living Institute
Attn: Intern Application
PO Box 836
Hopland, CA 95449
Applications will be considered incomplete if they lack any information listed above, and will not be considered as a viable candidate. Please indicate the focus area (site, workshop, communications, events) to which you are applying in your cover letter.
Any questions regarding the intern program can be submitted via
- we look forward to hearing from you!
Internship Focus Areas
Every intern is expected to remain flexible, and could be asked to assist in any program area, on an as-needed basis. Be sure to click on the "read more details" of each focus area to view the tasks, benefits & qualifications before you apply.