Tours of the Solar Living Center allow people of all ages to learn about a wide range of fascinating topics, from solar and wind power, to environmentally friendly building materials, to passive and active solar design in architecture, to organic gardening and permaculture.
SITE HOURS - Pacific Standard Time:
- Solar Living Center: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 7 days a week
- Solar Living Institute: Monday - Thursday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Friday , 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- Real Goods Store: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, 7 days a week.
- Open seven days a week between 10:00am and 6:00pm. (The site is closed on December 25th & January 1st)
- Pick up a free self-guided tour brochure at the Information Kiosk near the parking lot, and visit 44 points of interest on the 12-acre site of the Solar Living Center.
- During winter months, November 1st – March 31st, tours are Self-Guided only.
Download Guided Tour Application Form for the following:
Guided Tours for Individuals and Families
- Guided tours are offered from April 1st - October 31st
- Tours are scheduled Friday through Sunday at 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM. These fun and informative tours last approximately 50 minutes.
- Reservations are not required.
- Suggested donation of $3 per person or $5 for a family.
- Meet at the Information Kiosk near the parking lot for your registered tour.
Guided Tours for Schools
- Guided tours are offered throughout the year for grades K-12.
- Tours are scheduled Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM. These hands on tours last approximately 120 minutes and cover three stations: YOU are solar powered, Building with mud (cobb!) and Meeting (and eating) our organic garden! We tie the field trips to state standards and finish with a renewable/non renewable popcorn activity!
- Fee is $5 per student/teacher.
- Meet at the Information Kiosk near the parking lot for your registered School Tour.
Guided Tours for Professionals
- Specialty tours, led by senior staff or technical instructors, are available for professional associations, special interest groups and college level classes.
- These tours, which last approximately 1.5 hours, provide a stimulating technical exploration of renewable energy and sustainable living in a format that can be custom-tailored.
- Professional tours are available Monday through Friday by appointment only, and require an advance notice of 2 weeks.
- Cost is $10 per person with a $125 minimum.