Winter Solstice Celebration
The Solar Living Institute will be holding their 14th annual Winter Solstice Celebration on Saturday, December 21, 4-6:00 PM, at the Solar Living Center, located at 13771 S. Hwy 101 in Hopland. This event is celebrated all over the world by people of all religions, creeds and backgrounds. Celebrate this shortest day of the year with singing, drumming, music, dancing, prayers. Bring your drums or percussion instruments and dress warmly! Everyone is invited to this free event.
A Letter from our Executive Director
We give thanks to our supporters in 2013 that helped make the year a success. The Solar Living Institute (SLI) highlights:
- Kids education: Art workshops and a one-week camp solar program were added to our kids education program. 500 students attended a workshop or tour.
- Special events: Re-launched SolFest a one-day music and educational event and partnered with other organizations to host events using the SLI facilities.
- Developed a micro-green business. A production model was developed for producing and selling wheatgrass to local companies.
- Certified Organic. The site is now officially certified as organic by the California Certified Organic Farmers.
- Educated adults. More than 500 students attended SLI workshops and classes that provided state-of-the art information and hands-on experience in renewable energy systems, energy efficient building techniques, sustainable gardening and other topics pertaining environmentally responsible living.
We are now accepting applications for our Summer 2014 internships,
Interns are an integral part of the success of the Solar Living Institute on a daily basis and the key to the organization's on-going mission of promoting sustainability through inspirational environmental education. Under a work-trade agreement, interns assist staff and participate in programs operated by the Institute.
This may include: helping to coordinate and host workshops; assisting with maintenance and construction of facilities; caring for the organic garden; landscaping; support logistics for special events; giving tours to school groups; marketing, helping around the office; and much more!
Summer internships run from April- October.