Apply now for our 2014 Summer Caretaker positions.
CARETAKER JOB DESCRIPTION
Since 1998, the Solar Living Institute has been promoting sustainable living through inspirational environmental education. We do this through workshops, online courses, events, Kids’ Education Programs, an Intern Program, and Tours of the 12-acre Solar Living Center. We accomplish our mission through our family of participants, including, staff, interns, caretakers, volunteers, supports, donors and friends.
Applications are now being accepted for Caretakers.
- Summer: March-October 2014 Applications must be received by January 10th 2014
Couples preferred. Couples/Partners are encouraged to apply.
- The Caretaker(s) works closely with all SLI staff in support of site management, Intern Program, workshops, Kids’ Education Program, and Tours. The caretaker:
- Works with the Site Manager and site interns to maintain and improve the Solar Living Center’s 12 acre demonstration facilities, grounds and gardens
- Works with office staff in accommodating student campers, participating in Kids’ Education Tours, and prepping for and providing “meet and greet” for onsite classes.
- Provides tours to the public on weekends
- Maintain restroom cleanliness, stock materials
- Empty trash/recycle/compost at 3 outside locations and restrooms
- Give weekend public tours of the SLC, 11:00 AM & 3:00 PM; Fri, Sat, Sun
- Maintain order and cleanliness of camping area and guest kitchen and shower
- Chicken care and coop maintenance
- Assist in managing vegetable gardens
- Move gnomon poles on solar calendar
- Other duties as assigned, as time allows
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- High standard of work ethic, accountability and reliability
- Motivation and enthusiasm for caring for the earth and community
- Experience in speaking and/or presenting to small groups
- Experience with living in community with others
- Vegetable gardening experience; planting, maintaining, harvesting a plus
- Ability to maintain flexibility within a work plan while completing essential tasks
- Live at the Solar Living Center in community while maintaining a 24 hour presence
- Share common space with others living at the Solar Living Center
- Provide weekend operational coverage with a Friday – Tuesday workweek.
- Work holidays as needed (time traded)
- Keep animals healthy and safe and outside of shared living spaces
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
- Rustic private accommodations,
- Basic food commodities: rice, beans, flour, cooking oil, garden produce, eggs
- Access to all Institute classes on a space - available basis
- Discount at Real Goods Store on site
- Business and personal contacts in the solar and sustainable living fields
- Opportunity to live and work on a functional and beautiful permaculture site with a dynamic mix of individuals
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing and prepared to work in adverse weather conditions.